Visit our Children’s Dentists in Lincoln Dental Clinics located throughout the Community of Lincoln, NE
Our children’s dentists are trained to treat children of all ages. All capable children’s dentists will know how to keep your child calm, ensuring excellent oral health.
Our children’s dentists are always sure to teach parents the importance of primary (baby) teeth regarding the overall health of young children. Our children’s dentists recommend taking your child to the dentist by the age of one or when the first baby tooth appears. Every one of our children’s dentists fully understands how important that first dental visit is for the whole family. It is vital to our children’s dentists and their entire team to make the child feel comfortable and educate parents and guardians on how to care for your child’s teeth.
Our children’s dentists welcome parents and children both, to visit any office for a casual visit before the first dental appointment to ensure your child’s experience will be friendly and comfortable. Doing this will help prepare your child for their very first dental visit!
Why Are Baby Teeth Important?
Your child’s primary teeth are at risk for cavities as soon as they first appear, which is often as early as six months. Cavities in infants and toddlers are referred to as milk cavities or baby bottle tooth decay. Baby teeth have a thinner layer of enamel than adult teeth which makes them more susceptible to cavities.
If baby teeth are lost due to cavities before an adult tooth is ready to replace it, the remaining teeth may shift or tip, and not leave enough room for the adult tooth to come in. Also, if cavities progress, they can become uncomfortable for the child and lead to health-threatening infections. The good news is cavities are preventable.
Read more about children’s dental health here.
Do you have Dental Plans for children?
Yes, Lincoln Dental Plans can help you connect with a children’s dentist right here in the Lincoln, Nebraska area. A children’s dental plan is only $295 per year.
Lincoln Dental Clinic: Recommendations For Maintaining a Child’s Oral Health
- Maintain excellent at-home dental habits. Research shows that bacteria from your mouth can pass to your children leading to a weakened immune system. Taking care of your oral health and treating Periodontal disease and cavities is critical. The bacteria that cause cavities and periodontal disease are most often transmitted from parents to children by 15 months of age. Parents are role models for maintaining good oral health. Children will model the habits of their parents, especially with regards to oral hygiene. Even while expecting, it is highly recommended to visit the dentist for your regular checkup.
- Begin brushing infant teeth with a washcloth starting with their very first tooth. Once the child is 1-3 years old, use a small soft-bristled toothbrush with a smear of toothpaste. Once your child can spit after brushing, usually around four years, you can begin to use a small pea-sized amount of toothpaste.
- Teach your toddler to drink from a cup by 12-15 months and avoid putting toddlers and infants to bed with milk or juice once those first baby teeth appear. Drinking from a cup makes it less likely for milk or juice to pool around the teeth, especially at night.
- Limit sticky and sugary snacks such as fruit snacks, gummies, and fruit roll-ups to confined periods of time or near mealtimes. These types of foods can become especially problematic if your child consumes them often.
- Avoid juices and sports drinks like Gatorade. If possible, do so near mealtime or finish within 20 minutes and follow up with water. At sports events, have children drink water instead of Gatorade to stay hydrated.
- Give children the independence to brush and floss their teeth, but always be sure to “check” on them afterward. Use this as an opportunity to re-brush, re-floss, and praise them for their hard work. Children can have lots of enthusiasm for brushing, but often don’t master the dexterity and maturity to brush on their own until around age eight and floss on their own until age 10-12. Without extra guidance, children often miss brushing and flossing tricky areas, especially near their back teeth.
- Establish good dental habits by visiting any of our children’s dentists for regular 6-month checkups. Our children’s dentists can explain procedures such as applying a numbing agent or removing a cavity in words a child can understand. Our children’s dentists like to use visual aids to help children understand procedures and how to care for their teeth.
Our children’s dentists can also refer you to any other necessary dentist or professional should your child’s needs extend beyond a general dentist’s office. Our children’s dentists are comfortable expanding the circle of care for a young child with more complex dental needs. They welcome parents and caregivers who are searching for a kind and gentle dental experience for their children. If you don’t have dental insurance, be sure to locate a dental plan, a low-cost dental plan, or an affordable dentist. It could really be a lifesaver. In addition, a dental plan that is offered by a gentle, children’s dentist will give you all the great benefits you need so you can help your child maintain great oral and overall health.
If you are looking for a great selection of children’s dentists, consider visiting any one of our children’s dentists at Nebraska Family Dentistry. We offer affordable dental care and one of the top dental discount plans in the city.
Lincoln Dental Plans partners with locations of Nebraska Family Dentistry for a few reasons. One, in particular, all children’s dentists, demonstrate fantastic work with all children. We understand that it is easy for children to develop a negative view of the dentist, but starting off early with a caring and calming dentist will help them find a lasting comfort with a dentist’s office.
Annual Plan Benefits
For Lincoln Dental Plans
2 Emergency Exams
2 Routine Dental Cleanings (Every 12 Months)
25% discount on select procedures
LDP offers discounts on the following procedures:
Dental Crowns (Excludes Cosmetic Crowns)
Professional Teeth Whitening
Learn More about Lincoln Dental Plans Membership